|Your Location: Timeshare Users Group Advice: Buying smart in the Timeshare Resale Market |updated: 2/22/08|
Smart In The Timeshare Resale Market
By Larry Hayden, Timeshare Broker
Web site: Timeshare Resales Worldwide
I have been both an owner and a reseller of vacation timeshare since 1981. Over the years I have heard many theories as to what constitutes a wise buy when looking for a timeshare in the resale market. I'm happy to share with you what I've learned through years of experience:
1. BUY PRIME SEASON (RED) If you own prime season you won't be restricted as to what time of year you can request to exchange, because you will be entitled to request any of the 52 weeks of the year.
2. BUY IN A HIGH DEMAND AREA. Examples of high demand areas are Hawaii, California Coastal, and the Orlando FL area. Remember that past demand for a particular resort is one of the key factors that the exchange companies consider in arriving at what you will be offered.
3. Buy in a resort that has a reasonable maintenance fee.
4. BUY AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE!
5. NOTE THAT IT IS A VERY
NICE BONUS IF YOU CAN BUY INTO A RESORT THAT IS PART OF A LARGE
MANAGEMENT SYSTEM whereby you are automatically entitled to low
bonus-time rates at all the resorts in the system. Great for frequent
6. DON'T FORGET NUMBER 4 ABOVE. Seriously, many people when looking for a week to own for exchange purposes, pay more than they have to because they get focused on issues that are not nearly as important as items 1-4 above. For example, in my opinion an exchange company's rating of a resort ("Gold Crown", "5-Star", etc.) isn't as important (when focusing on achieving a smart buy in an exchange week), as obtaining a low price and buying in a high demand location! There are some fabulous resorts without the ratings but located in very high demand areas, that will exchange in a superb fashion, including exchanging into "Gold Crown" or "5-Star Resorts".
In conclusion, by keeping in mind all the above considerations when shopping for timeshare, you'll not only make a wise buy price-wise, but of utmost importance - if you'll use your overall timeshare program at every opportunity, you'll achieve in my opinion the most important goal of all - taking time to share quality time with loved ones!
Send comments/feedback by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Timeshare Users Group
© Copyright 1993-2008
PO Box 1442, Orange Park, Fl 32067
Phone: (904) 298-3185
Homepage updated Feb 22, 2008 by B. Rogers - Send email regarding this page to email@example.com